This campaign collects data specifically related to free-living Western honey bee (Apis mellifera) nests.
By "free-living" we mean a colony of honey bees living in natural or human-made cavities with little to no human intervention. By "nests" we mean spaces in which free-living honey bee colonies reside, e.g., trees or log cavities, walls of buildings, chimneys, caves, etc.
To participate, please provide as much information as you can within this section, following these simple steps:
1. Identify the position of the nest within the map
2. Upload photos of the nest
3. Answer the questions in "1. Free-living nest"
4. Click "+ Free-living Nest" to create a new entry for each additional nest you wish to register
5. Answer the questions in "Bee season"
6. When finished, click the "Submit" button at the bottom of the page
*Please note that GPS locations of free-living nests will purposely be obfuscated on the public map. In this way, their exact whereabouts will be concealed.
There will be a delay posting your entries to the map while our team reviews and validates your data.